Certified nurse midwife Christina Tanner joins us to talk about our vaginas, the “self-cleaning ovens” of the body, and helps us learn what to do on the road if your oven malfunctions. We cover menstruation, yeast infections, UTIs, birth control, traveling while pregnant, scary bathrooms & squat toilets, medications and SO MUCH MORE! We also find out what water, garlic and yogurt have in common. (Hint – it’s not just that they make a tasty veggie dip.)
Click the links to listen to the episode on iTunes or Podbean. Please share with your lady traveler friends, as well as your friends who don’t travel, so we can all increase our vagina IQs.
Podcast notes and TONS of women’s health resources are available after the jump.
DISCLAIMER: Ines and Kathy are very smart ladies, but they are not health care professionals. The content of the podcast and the information presented on this blog does not, nor does it intend to, provide medical advice. If you are in need of medical advice, please seek a qualified health care professional, not a podcast host. Links to any websites do not mean endorsement or affiliation.
Health Kit Suggestions for Travelin’ Ladies
- Tampons, pads, Diva Cup or other menstrual necessities
- Birth control of your choice
- Condoms – If you don’t use them, leave them with someone who will
- Prescription medications – It’s also handy to have copies of the prescriptions
- Prescriptions for eyeglasses or contacts – In case you break or lose them
- Azithormiyacin – Basic prescription antibiotic
- Ciproflaxin – Prescription antibiotic useful for traveler’s diarrhea
- Flucanozole – Prescription antifungal used to treat yeast infections
- Macrobid – Prescription antibiotic used to treat urinary tract infections (UTIs)
- 5-HTP – Capsule form of trytophan, useful for PMS
- Cranberry capsules to help prevent UTIs
Menstruation Options Mentioned
Thinx Period Panties
LARCs (Long Acting Reversible Contraception)
These countries offer birth control without a prescription.
Emergency Contraception Around the World
Pew Research Center Fact Tank: How Abortion is Regulated Around the World
International Association for Medical Advice to Travelers (IAMAT) – lists English-speaking doctors in other countries, as well as basic health info by country
Our guest Christina is a board member of the Chicago chapter of the National Organization of Women. If you’d like to support Chicago NOW, you can donate here. Also keep an eye on their Facebook page for future events and their April fundraiser.
You may also want to consider supporting Esperanza Health Centers, a federally qualified health center (FQHC) that provides high-quality, multi-specialty health care to members of the community regardless of insurance status, where Christina works.
Subscribe to our podcast on iTunes and leave us a review, or follow us on Podbean.
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter here.
Like XX, Will Travel on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and Instagram.